Thursday, October 22, 2015

The Wives, Milty & Jaq "Liquid Curiosity" Stedman

The FPO maintains I'm extremely hard to buy presents for. What do you get the handsome divil who has everything, or worse still if he wants or needs something he just goes ahead and gets it...within reason.

3 or 4 years ago, a Craft Beer Hamper c/o Drinkstore landed under the tinsel laden Xmas tree (Pine imitation, 7ft, adjustable branches, non flammable of course, bought during the boom!)

This hamper came courtesy of herself indoors, followed by a few more Mother Superior and needless to say I devoured the collection in about 4 days.

Did I appreciate the sentiment, Yes.

The beers? Nope.

I kept every bottle to examine after Xmas had finished, wishing to "grade" them. I had convinced myself that I'd remember each one (there were 14 I think) and be able to remember their qualities.

I ended up grading them by the "prettiness" of the labels. FAIL! Actually MONUMENTAL FAIL! What a pillock!

Fast forward through the next 4 years and 2 kids later, my wife and "Miltys" other half decided to send myself and himself to a Craft Beer Tasting Course. Now were talking. 

Finally the gift that gives you permission to drink, learn, drink, test your new knowledge and keep going. Handbrake off, mind the bend.

Beer sommeliers of the world quaked in their boots, or whatever sommeliers wear - slippers, moccasins maybe?




Excerpt from email:

Hello David,

Just a week to go until the first Introduction to Craft Beer and Cider in Dublin on February 3rd!

Course Date:      3rd February
Venue:                 Mourne Seafood Bar, Charlotte Quay.
Start Time:          9:45am register for 10am prompt start.
Breaks:                 11:15am, 1-2pm lunch, 3:15pm
Finish:                   5-5:30pm.

This is a sensory evaluation course, some ingestion of alcoholic beverages may occur. I recommend that participants act responsibly during the course. 6-8 standard drinks may be consumed over the course of the day, so I recommend alternative transport from the venue.

Also, please refrain from wearing any strong perfumes or colognes on the day, as this to can diminish the ability to correctly assess the beverages on the day.

If you have any other queries or questions, please do not hesitate in contacting me,

Chookers,

Jacqueline Stedman
t: @CuriosityLiquid
fb: Liquid Curiosity
www.liquidcuriosity.ie

Can you believe that, she wouldn't let me wear my best cologne?!

On a freezing cold February morning we made our way to Mourne Seafood Bar and as expected, we were first there. Met by Jaq who promptly told us to wait outside.  Aussies wah? 

Seriously though we were way too early. Jaq was busy, she didn't need two "models" interrupting the preparation.  I'd have been the exact same in my line of work. 

If truth be told, we just wanted a bit of heat.

Anyway overlooking the Grand Canal at Board Gáis Theatre, we got talking about all sorts of stuff.  Mostly about our next venture. 

Most of my family and friends know that I knew I was going to NYC in February 2014, but announced it about a week after our second was born (Sept/Oct '13). Worst still, I announced it on Twitter in the form of a question "What would one wear to the Superbowl?".

Well if it was cold on the morning of the course above, it was sub zero back home when herself realised what I'd done. 

Sounds terrible, I know and not my finest moment, BUT (if there's any saving grace in this) Milty is a life long friend of my wife. So any time there's a problem at home, the tension is almost always broken by me saying "Well, Milty said........"

We had a great time in NYC!!! Resident messers at The Carlow East! Go Hawks #12thman

Back in Siberia - Doors open, in we went.

Treated to tea, coffees etc and given the low down on what was to expect from the day.

Then the introductions:
As the group of 20 or so made their introductions, the realisation for all in attendance was when #16 and #17 had to speak. 

Ohhhh shit, I thought as one by one the following was said.

  • I'm a brewer
  • We are about to open a craft beer bar
  • I work in a 5 star hotel, cocktail lounge
  • I OWN A BREWERY!
  • I run 3 successful off licenses
  • We (3  together) were sent by our boss to keep up to date with craft beer
  • I'm a food and drink writer


Oh Fuck, were next.

In unison, "our wives sent us".

Met with some giggles and most certainly a snob look from a very small minority.  All good for us, day off work and permission to "sample".

Jaq Stedman knows her stuff boys and girls. Within a few minutes she already had our nose and taste buds honing in on various different flavours and smell sensations I never knew existed in beer.  She is a professional through and through and have not met her since the course, hope to do in the future and thank her in person. 

Who would have thought the smell of wet socks would not turn you off a drink

Strong cheese being another.  Now I like cheese, but cheese in beer? Oh Waiter, theres a Dairylea in my Imperial! 

Then as if by magic, the senses picked up caramel, peanuts, honey, grass, smoke, perfume, hay...this was Las Vegas  - craft style!



There were about 25 different bottles behind us from the length and breath of the island, twas fablis.

Jaq then apologised that not all her stock was here just yet, but there was at least the same amount again on its way shortly.  Ah here, were in High Roller Territory now!

Was she trying to get me drunk? I'm a married man! Well just about, see NYC bit above, fuck that!

Throughout the day we were introduced to each other, to hops of varying country and kind. A welcomed lunch from Mourne Seafood Bar and of course more sampling. Ciders were introduced too, not my cup of tea honestly but it was rude refuse. 

We mixed with the future of Crafties/Hipsters/Experts whatever takes your fancy and held our own as they day went on! 

Under the guidance of Jaq, the course was inspirational. Never once was a query overlooked, group interaction 100% of the times and most of all we had fun. In fact I'd go as far in saying if there were no beers it would still be enjoyable. 

So after spending 12 hours sampling our way through IPA, Imperials, Water, Pils, Dubbel's, Cider, Red, Blacks, Saisons, Sours, Bitters, Coppers, Coffee...the course finished with Milty and myself heading to the Brewdock to impress the population of Dublin with our new found knowledge.

Were they impressed? A course they were.  Autographs were handed out, photos were taken, we were even in some of them.

The night was drawing to a close and we were both full of knowledge and full of hops....there was nothing else left to do but go for a well earned jar.

We did.

We earned it.

Slainte!
@davyod

3 comments:

  1. So pleased you enjoyed the day! We must do a follow up soon, and stretch those taste buds. Thanks for the kind words - Jaq.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A seriously good course by Jaq. Brought a new meaning to drinking beer and no more daunting choices in the off licence. I would recommend to anyone with an interest in craft beer.
    Milty

    ReplyDelete