Saturday, October 24, 2015

In the Pink Corner - 8 Degrees Vic Secret Single Hop Black IPA

Ah the team from 8 Degrees have it down to a fine art. Consistent in their approach to getting your eye in.

Their labels are distinctly different in each offering, yet you know its from 8 Degrees. Perhaps a lesson that maybe picked up from others, who get a little lost in the shelves?

I'm often amazed at so many craft that miss out on the subtle advertising. Everyone of 8 Degrees bottle tops have their trademark 8° on each one. A tiny observation, but maybe enough to get the undecided to reach for today's choice - Vic Secret.

At 6% this single hop serving, needs your attention.

The Squint
Not many brews in vivid pink would have you reaching for the foaming ale of choice, but like many 8 Degree offerings, their labeling is bold, vivid, very different in colour palette, but all the same, if that makes sense.

Holding a light to its colour reveals a very dark coffee/copper twinge, at a glance, it looks black. No biggie.

This Black IPA has the Australian Vic Secret Hop within, lets see if its bursting to get out!

The Sniff
Lets get the party started! Screaming of bold flavours.  Straight from the bottle, nevermind the pour. According to their website it has (including others) pineapple, in it.  I'm not sure I got pineapple, maybe I need fine tuning, but definitely got a hint of citrus, just a hint, just enough. Read some of my other reviews that "the sniff" is pretty much nowhere, not in a bad way, but Vic Secret leaves them in the slow lane regards aroma!

The Quench
Carbonated lightly, I made sure it got the serving temp at 8 Degrees, like the rest of the range, its a wallop of tingles, then the after taste kicks in and settles you for just enough time to point and smile at the bottle. I've not experienced such a feminine label with such a bold hop and malt balance! Theres a roasted taste too, in fact I reckon the roasted the b'jesus out of it!

I got turf, earthy malts and a distinctive burnt cask (Its not casked as far as I know), all in, I'm one happy Kangaroo. Pardon the Aussie related pun.

The aftertaste lingers right at the back of the tongue, its there long after the swallow, did I say its a roasted 6%?

The Finale
As suspected, once again the quality steams on through as with any of the other degree menu choices, it's only a small few Irish Breweries that can carry such a wide offering and still maintain their quality. Sometimes you stumble across a Black IPA. I'd heard about this one, I tried it, I wont be stumbling to find it again. I cannot promise to stumble after though!

Please drink sensibly.


I've had many 8 Degree crafts (more reviews on the way) and I may not have liked them all the same, but I can't disregard their quality, it shines through.


Sláinte

@davyod





No comments:

Post a Comment